Image Map

Monday, October 23, 2017

Ahi Tuna Sushi Bowls

I told you I'd be back! This is the post I had originally planned on being my first post back. That was before I made those cute little graveyards and I changed my mind.



So, I decided to make a new series called "Week Night Dinners". They'll all be things that I make regularly during the week, that are easy and usually quick. Most won't have a ton of ingredients. Like this recipe it'll probably be photos from my phone, that aren't styled much at all. It's about real life and what we eat and what I can make that's easy and fits our schedule.

 This one is a favorite of mine and my youngest, Liam. The kid loves sushi! His favorite is Salmon Nigiri or, as he calls it, Nemo Sushi, because it's orange with white veins and reminds him of a clown fish. He is not a normal kid, that's for sure! He rarely eats any sushi other than nigiri and it stumps all the waiters when we let him order a plate of nothing but nigiri. I've made sushi at home before but my oldest, Caleb, won't eat fish unless it's been cooked. He also doesn't like 99% of the veggies out there. When I make this he eats, rice, tuna(well done) and eel sauce, and if I beg he'll eat some carrot ribbons. My husband and I, on the other hand, love to eat this loaded with all the veggies and so does Liam.


Add some rice to this spread plus about 15 minutes of prep and 15 minutes of cooking and plating and you're done. I like to prep the eel sauce and spicy mayo ahead of time, so the flavors mingle and it takes some time off my cook time. If you do weekly food prep, you can cut the cucumber and carrots ahead as well. I try to do this as often as possible and it makes life so much easier. I used the microwavable rice pouches for this but it would be even better with actual fluffy sushi rice or any short grain rice.




Ahi Tuna Sushi Bowls
feeds 4

4 4 oz Ahi Tuna Steaks
1 tablespoon soy sauce
drizzle of olive oil
8.8oz Microwavable Rice Pouches
1 small or 1/2 medium cucumber, julienned
1 medium carrot, cut into ribbons with vegtable peeler
2 avocados, cubed
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Eel Sauce, listed below
Spicy Mayo, listed below

Heat rice according to package instructions. Dish out into 4 bowls and allow to cool. Heat large skillet to medium-high heat, add oil to pain. Once its hot add 2 tuna steaks to pan. sear on both sides but do not cook through. Just a couple of minutes on each side is plenty. Remove from pan and cook the next two. Allow them to cool while you cut the veg. Slice tuna and place on top of the rice, add your veggies, drizzle with eel sauce and spicy mayo. Eat up!

Eel Sauce
2 Tablespoons Mirin
2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons Sugar

In a small sauce pan, whisk together all ingredients and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Cook until just slightly thickened, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and and allow to come to room temp before refrigerating.

Spicy Mayo
3 Tablespoons Mayo
1 Teaspoon Sriracha

Whisk together in a small bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.



See you soon!!
xoxoxo,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment