Image Map

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Almond Fig Muffins

These are my new favorite things. 
Fig + Almond + Cardamom + Orange + Honey + Muffins = deliciousness to infinity
I'm not kidding, the are amazing.


Fig are hard to find here in Tennessee. 
I love them but dang, those bad boys are expensive, and they go bad so quickly!
You're going to want to buy them no more than a day before you're ready to use them.



My youngest child, feeling super important, being that his birthday was the next day, took two bites out of half of these as soon as I put my camera down.
Then he found his perfect muffin and trotted off to watch Barney.
I hate that stupid dinosaur! 
Why are children's shows so mind numbly annoying!?!?
I think it's time to force him to watch more Sesame Street. 
Now that is good tv!


I know these almost look burnt, but they'e not. 
Ok, some may be on the extra done side, but I did that on purpose, I swear.
Mr. Buttercup, or the Dred Pirate, whatever you want to call him, likes his baked good with a slight char.
Plus, the honey I drizzled on top caramelized, leaving some of these with burnt bits on the top. 
Those were his favorites.  


I usually make a couple dozen muffins every Sunday to last through the week. 
These will not make it past Wednesday, I guarantee it. 
Luckily I made some chocolate chip oatmeal muffins too.
Not being super healthy this week. Oops.


If you want to make them slightly better for you, change out your sweetener, and add some flax meal. 
Or don't and be rebellious like me.  


Almond Fig Muffins
Makes: 1 dozen
(click to print)

for muffins:
1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup oil*
1 tablespoon orange extract
zest of one orange
8 figs cut into quarters
crumb topping (recipes follows)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a standard muffin pan with cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom and salt, make a well in the center and set aside. In another bowl whisk together, egg, milk, oil and extract. Add liquid ingredients to the cent of the dry and stir until just combined. D not over mix. Stir in zest at the very end. Fill muffin tin 2/3 of the way full. Top with crumb topping and a drizzle of honey and a few slices of fig. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

for crumb topping:
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 tablespoon sugar
pinch of cinnamon
1/4 cup almonds

In a small bowl add all ingredients and use your fingers or a fork to work the ingredients together.


*Use whatever your prefrence is for baking, I used vegtable oil this time but have used olive oil and coconut oil in the past.

Have one of these with a cup off coffee and start your day of right. :)

xoxo,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment