Image Map

Monday, September 15, 2014

Curry Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup

I am going to sneak in my favorite fall,winter soup in before it's truly cool enough for it.

I love this soup. 
   The sweet potatoes and carrots are hearty and give it a mild sweetness that when combined with the subtly of the coconut milk and heat of the curry, onion and peppers make this the most perfect meal for the chilly fall air. Or, you could make this on a scorching hot day like me and crank the AC, whatever works for you. 


    I may be planning a couple more summery recipes for you but I could not stop myself from sharing this right now. I might have had a mint, honey suckle watermelon smoothie for breakfast today and this for lunch. My brain is really confused right now! It's one of the draw backs of living in the south, the weather has not gotten the memo that kids are back in school, and Halloween is just around the corner and I should be sipping apple cider right now but it is still reeeeeediculousy hot! Or atleast it is as I write this, who knows what the weather will be when this posts next week.


Can we walk about how thick and luscious this soup is? You could easily thin it out more with more broth or coconut milk but I find it to be more filling and comforting like this. 



   I should also tell you that this recipe is vegan but you don't have to keep it that way. I prefer the coconut milk for the flavor and consistency but you could use half and half. You could add in chicken broth, I have used it when I didn't have any veggie broth. This is the perfect filling and easy meal to make for a vegan or vegetarian when they come over for dinner. I like to keep us all veg a few times a week.


 It is also gluten free for anyone out there with a gluten intolerance of some kind.


Curry Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
serves about 8

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped lemongrass
2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons curry paste*
1 Serrano, seeded and choppped**
1 orange or yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
3 large or 5 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
5 large or 8 small carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
4 cups vegetable broth
1 14oz  UNSWEETENED coconut milk***

chopped peanuts and cilantro for topping

In a large pot over medium high heat, add olive oil. Once it is warm enough, add the lemon grass, ginger and garlic. Saute until softened, just a minute or so. Add in onion, saute until softened and translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in curry paste, let cook for a couple of minutes just allowing the flavors to develop. Stir in both peppers and cook until softened, around 3 minutes. Add in potatoes and carrots. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes, then stir in broth. Turn down heat and bring to simmer. Let cook uncovered around 20 minutes and test carrots or potatoes to see if they are soft.  Once they are soft enough to be smash with the back of a spoon, use a immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth. If you don't have a stick blender you could use an upright blender, just pulse 4 cups at a time until each batch is smooth, then add back into the pot. Continue to cook and stir in coconut milk and season with salt to taste. Eat warm! 


NOTES:
* I sometimes use more. It just depends on how much spice I want. You could get away with 4 tablespoons before it goes over the top with the spice.
**Oh, and I forgot to seed my Serrano pepper and oh boy, let me tell you, this puppy had a bite! It was good though, it just got a bit too hot for me by the next day. I just stirred in more coconut milk and it saved it for me. Just a little note for you in case your a goober like me.
*** Make sure you get coconut milk not cream of coconut. cream of coconut is VERY sweet and will ruin your soup!

xoxo,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment