Image Map

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Kiwi Pineapple Green Smoothie

I told you I was coming with smoothies this month. 
I keep my promises with kiwi, pineapple, kale and spinach.

   I know, the blog world, your Facebook and Pinterest feeds are over run with smoothies and salads right now. Everyone is chanting "new year, new me." Guess what! I'm not. I live for smoothies 24/7/365. I grew up drinking smoothies. I don't think Mom even put spinach in them, but she did make them for a quick breakfast or as a dessert to keep us away form ice cream. Now, I give them to my boys for the very same reasons. I tend to prefer them for breakfast because I am a slow starter (I've mentioned this before) and I can make these with my eyes still blurry and my brain is still warming up. 


   I lean towards smoothies when my stomach problems rear their ugly head. Unfortunately, it is just something I have to deal with and there is nothing that can be done about it on the bad days. There is no medicine, no magic cure. My only option is to lean on liquids on the days or weeks that I feel awful. I won't go into what I have or why because it is boring and that's not why I'm here. But, I add of that to say, I don't necessarily believe in juice or smoothie cleanses. I've done them and HATED every dang second of it. But on the days, where you feel bloated, binged on bad for you food the night before or are just getting over a stomach bug, these are the days that this kind of smoothie is what you need. You don't want to do this for every meal though, there are far too many fruits in here and that would be way to much sugar for one day. 



Kiwi Pineapple Green Smoothie
serves 1
(click to print)
1 cup kale*
1 cup spinach*
1/2 cup fresh pineapple
1 kiwi chopped
1/4 cup greek yogurt
1/2 cup coconut water
1 tablespoon flax seeds
honey to taste

Combine all ingredients and blend until liquefied.

*I used 2 cups of a spinach kale blend

No comments:

Post a Comment