Image Map

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Red Velvet No Bake Cheesecake Pots

   
   Anyone, other then me, out there having a hard time finding their rhythm in the new year? I cannot get it together! Of course, it is barely 2015 and I've already had two sick kids, and sprained ankle, and a husband with a pulled muscle in his back. Anyway, the reason I'm whining to you, I have nothing new to post. YIKES! While, I'm working on getting back on a schedule and nursing my babies back to health, aaaaaaaand folding a mountain of laundry (seriously, I have 6 loads that need to be folded, how does that even happen?) I'm going to share this, quick and simple, recipe that I've been holding in my archives, for just such an occasion. 


   I made these little dudes for my Mother in law's birthday dinner. We were going over for meatloaf and veggies but, I couldn't go empty handed and I have a problem with taking a regular cake. My mother in law is diabetic. After years of work, I still haven't managed to perfect a sugar free cake. Plus, I HATE the taste of any type of sugar substitute, even the all natural ones. I'm such a brat about it. I try, I really do but I can always taste it and it literally gags me. That's not hyperbole, I not going all Rachel Zoe on you, I literally gag. Gross. Desserts like this are always a good option. I made half with sugar and half with stevia.


   I picked red velvet because it is one her favorites and I wanted there to be a nod to a birthday cake there. One day I'll figure out how to make a sugar free, actual, red velvet cake for her. Until then, I'll keep making this for her. She does love cheesecake too. But then again, who doesn't?  

    These are easy enough and keep for a week or so, in the refrigerator. You could make these ahead and eat them throughout the week when you want something sweet. If I did that I would probably use 4 oz jars so I didn't over indulge every, single night. And the're perfect for taking somewhere. Toss the lid on and carry them in a basket. The jars are inexpensive enough you can leave them with the host or bring them back home. 



Red Velvet No Bake Cheesecake Pots
(makes 4 8oz portions or 8 4oz portions)
(click to print)

4 chocolate graham crackers
1 tablespoon butter (chilled or room temp)
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
red food coloring *I prefer  gel food coloring*
1 cup whipping cream, chilled
2 tablespoons powdered sugar

   Combine crackers and butter in a food processor and pulse, until the mixture is the texture of coarse sand. Pour a small amount of the crumbs into the bottom of your jars, reserving about half to add to the top at the end. Set aside. Clean the food processor (or use another bowl if you have two) and combine the cream cheese, yogurt, sugar and cocoa powder and blend until smooth. Through the spout, add food coloring, a few drops at a time, until you reach the color you want. Spoon the cheesecake into the jar. In a metal bowl, using a whisk whip the cream, until soft peaks form, then whisk in powdered sugar. Top each jar with whipped cream and sprinkle on remaining crust crumbs. Screw on lids, and chill until ready to serve. 

*For a sugar free version substitute sugar for 1-2 tablespoon Stevia, add in a pinch of salt to cut the bitterness in the cheesecake batter and use just a tiny pinch of Stevia in the whipping cream.  Switch out for sugar free cookies in the crust.*


xoxo,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment