Image Map

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Hot Bacon and Balsamic Brussels Sprout Salad

Talk about quick and easy! 
Oh and because it's a salad made of brussels sprouts, it nullifies the bacon, making it totally healthy!


      I have the tendency to plan two week menus for all three meals and only wind up following them about half the time. I'm easily distracted and hate following plans, even if I wrote the plan. Especially, if I wrote the plan! This salad was born out of one of my fits of rebellion. Rebellion can taste so gooood! I won't lie, when my husband set his eyes on this bowl of a goodness, he was less than impressed. He wasn't sure how this was going to fill him up for the evening or if this even classified as a meal. Once he ate it, he was a believer. 


      I had a heavy labor intensive dinner planned, the kids had eaten a huge late afternoon snack, and I just didn't have the time or energy of dealing with the the cooking and blah, blah, So I made this dude up and shoved it in my face! It makes a great light dinner or a side dish. Toss a fried egg on top and call it brunch! Whenever you have it, it's delicious and for little effort! Seriously this is the meal I can get behind!


 Hot Bacon Brussels Sprouts Salad
serves 2

4 cups shredded brussels sprouts
4 strips of bacon
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons balsamic dressing*
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt to taste

Start by shredding your brussels sprouts. I used the slicing blade on my food processor, but you could easily use a mandolin or a box grater. Then, heat a large skillet to medium high heat. While it heats up, cut your bacon into medium sized pieces. Once the pan is hot, start cooking your bacon, stirring often. While bacon is cooking, whisk together garlic, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard and honey.  Slowly stream in olive oil, while whisking constantly. It should take about 4- minutes for the bacon to cook. Once the bacon is cooked through, scoop it out onto a plate and set aside. Over  medium heat stir in the vinaigrette. Add in sprouts, tossing to coat, cook until just softened, but still has a bite. Toss with bacon and serve.

*I actually used raspberry balsamic this time, but I've make it regular balsamic usually. Both are delicious! I think red wine vinegar would be amazing too.


It's the perfect lunch or dinner on the fly!

xoxo,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment