Image Map

Monday, December 15, 2014

Truffle Pie with Cookies & Cream Whipped Cream

Crunchy chocolate cookies, rich and luscious filling, topped with fluffy, cookie studded whipped cream. It is the perfect pie to feed your inner chocoholic. This particular pie looks unassuming, but it is far from you basic chocolate cream pie! 



     I have a confession to make... I am a procrastinator. Not because I'm lazy, I am just so easily distracted. I'll find myself lingering too long on a project, reading an article instead of bookmarking it for later, folding laundry, building one too many lego robot/dinosaur combos with the boys, so many distracting possibilities and the time just slips through my fingers. This pie is what I make when I realize "holy cow its whenever o'clock and we have to leave in an hour and the four of us still need a shower, I need to paint my face, pack a bag, harness the power of the sun..." You know, the usual. So, I dash in the kitchen, hope and pray that I have enough heavy cream, throw this thing together and toss it in the freezer, all while husband-man dangles the boys by their ankles and runs them through the shower, that, or hoses them off in the yard... if it's summer time. As we are dashing out the door, I grab the pie and voila, I look like I'm a prepared, pulled together, responsible adult, when in reality I'm a scatter brained wreck. But, I'm a scatter brained wreck that can cook!



   Or, if I am in a particularly good brain space the day before, I make it ahead toss it in the refrigerator and have it ready to go, so that I can enjoy a leisurely day before I need to be anywhere. I'd like to say that is what happens most of the time, but that, my friend, would be a big, fat, stinking lie! I prefer it half frozen anyway. 



   It couldn't be simpler. Crust first. While it bakes and cools, you melt chocolate and some cream, fill the bottom of the base. Send it off to the freezer. Put the remainder aside to cool. Take out your frustrations on the rest of the cookies. Whip some cream with the now room temperature chocolate ganache, pour on top of the pie, then, you guessed it, back to the freezer. Next whip the remaining cream with the remaining sugar, then fold with half the remaining cookies and top the pie. Last step, add the remaining cookie crumbs and chill. 



Truffle Pie with Cookies and Cream Whipped Cream
serves 8-12

1 14 oz package chocolate cream sandwich cookies (Oreos)
1/4 cup butter
12 oz semi-chocolate or butter sweet chocolate
2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar, divided

   Preheat oven to 350 F. In a sauce pan melt over low heat, melt the butter, watching carefully not to burn. In a gallon size freezer bag, pour in 2/3 of the cookies, seal and smash to crumbs with a rolling pin. Once the butter ins melted, pour in the butter. Shake until all the crumbs are coated with butter, pour into the pie pan and press firmly into a layer, going up the side of the pan. Bake for 8 minutes or until set. Place crust in the freezer to chill while you make the ganache.
   For the ganache, in a sauce pan over medium low heat, heat chocolate and 1 cup of cream stirring constantly, until melted and combined. Pour 1/3 of the mixture into the bottom of the pie shell and return to the freezer. Place the remaining chocolate ganache in the refrigerator to cool. Only cool until it it no longer warm. It should not be thickened or set up, it should take no longer than 5 minutes in the refrigerator.
   While that is chilling add the remaining cookies to a gallon size freezer bag and smash, but still leaving some large pieces. Set aside.
   In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer whip 1/2 cup cream, 1/4 cup confections sugar and now cooled ganache. Whip until form soft peaks. Pour into the crust and return back to the freezer.
   Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer, whip the remaining 1/2 cup cream and remaining 2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar until soft peaks form, then fold in about half of the cookie crumbs. Pour into the middle of the pie and scatter on the top of the pie. Chill in the refrigerator for two hours or freeze for 30 minutes.

*I like to make this in the disposable cake tins you can see in the picture, because once it sets, you can pop this right out and place it on a pretty platter. Of course, a spring form pan would do the same, except that mine is ginormous, but if you have an 8 inch, it would be perfect. Of course, a regular pie pan if just fine too.



xoxo,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment